Sunday, December 27, 2009

Is there a difference between salon shampoos like redken and department store shampoos like pantean?

I have had this debate for a long time now whether salon shampoos were really better for your hair than department store ones like pantean shampoo..


My hair is longer than sholder length and i regularly get highlights put in and want to use the best shampoo out there, but at a cheap price.





Anyone help i need some advice?! thanks :)Is there a difference between salon shampoos like redken and department store shampoos like pantean?
First, Pantene is horrible. It doesn't ';damage'; your hair but it does leave a waxy buildup. That is why it makes it look shiny. Non-ammonia colors (like Shades EQ) wash right out within days because the hair is so coated.





Drugstore brands don't damage hair but they are cheaper for a reason. All shampoo has basically the same main ingredients. The difference is the concentration of the good ingredients. That's why professional products cost more. They are more concentrated so they will do the job better, you won't need to use as much, and because of this they last longer. If you really want to make your hair healthy, professional products will work better because they are formulated better. More active ingredients, less fillers.Is there a difference between salon shampoos like redken and department store shampoos like pantean?
Hmm.. best and cheap don't belong in the same sentence!!





Yes, there is a difference -- they are made by different companies. :-)





Redken used to be very good, but since L'Oreal bought them, they have changed drastically. It's still alright, better than most, but not as good as it once was. Any commercial product (on the drugstore shelf) has to be poorer quality because there is such an overhead on the product.





Salon products usually are better since they don't have as much advertising or costs in distribution. They are made for the professional, who has higher standards than do most people. People want pretty colours and nice smell!!





You would do well to find Nexxus or Focus21 products. They may be more expensive, but you normally use much less, so it goes a long way. They actually work, when most ';pretty'; products are only for marketing, and don't do anything good for your hair.
This is an EXCELLENT question. In my experience, hair operators will tell you that drug store hair care products are crap, that they dry out your hair etc etc, but, when I say, ';I've been using Pantene for years...does my hair feel/look damaged?'; and they always grudgingly say no. I suspect their profit margin on salon products is ENORMOUS.





Meanwhile, with that being said, I did have one lady admit that if I INSISTED on buying my hair care products from the drug store, that Dove brand is better than Pantene which is what I had been using. I figured she didn't have any reason to talk up one brand over another, and that she must have seen some research.





So, I switched to Dove. I use the formula for color treated hair. I must say, my hair does feel wonderful. I hated to leave Pantene, because I always felt that it did well for me, but Dove was better.





I dread the end of the haircut when they start asking you what kind of shampoo you use, hoping to lead you into the ';our stuff is better'; conversation, and here's how I end it: ';What kind of shampoo do you use?'; ';I'm okay on product right now....thanks.'; and that's that.
Uhhh Yes I have 2 different sets of redken shampoo and ocndtioners on my dresser as we speak!!! lol and yes theres a big differenece I just get rid of all my Pantene ;( well I finished it.. Redken is More high end and well, Performs WAYYYY Better But Pantene is great too but It's eithr Pay 13 bucks for both shampoo and condtioner or 4 bucks?





I use Redken, but not Im in Herbal Essencse ;) Im looking for a protein treatment thoough and I know one or both of them are going to be from Redken ;) redken is areally great line... and well worth the money

No comments:

Post a Comment